Monday, September 2, 2013

Roadkill

Funny where we learn life's lessons. We recently adopted a Chihuahua from a local animal shelter. I have always loved animals but until now have not owned a dog in adulthood. We love our dog and have admittedly spoiled her. She has a pink collar with rhinestones and an equally fancy bowl and bed picked for her by my daughter.  After trying several different dog food brands, we settled on Fromm Farms Game bird blend dog food. The food is remarkable, seriously, I am pretty sure my dog is eating healthier than I am. This particular food we have selected for our prissy dog, has fruits, vegetables and the best cuts of meat. Being a Type A person, I am proud of this choice in dog food and I think it has helped her to be a healthy happy dog. Much to my chagrin however, my dog who by anyones standards eats yuppie dog food, has a disgusting love for road kill. She is attracted to any dead creature remotely near our home and I must admit it is repulsive. As I scolded her for trying yet again to placate her revolting desire, I realized, I do the same thing! The Lord gives me good gifts and I am running the opposite way in search of something else, something that is never as good as what He has given me. I live a life full of blessings and yet I long and desire for more. Maybe not all of my desires are a repulsive as road kill but they are keeping me from total trust and obedience to God. Like I do for my dog, the Lord takes me in and cleans me up from my latest romp in whatever pig pen I happen to be lounging in and cares for me. He washes me, cleans me up and reminds me that he loves me. He shows me again and again that I am beloved and cherished, he even goes so far as to call me his daughter.  Just like the Israelites wandering the desert longing for something other than manna and quail, my dog and I and possibly even you long after things that are not the healthiest for us. It's a good thing our God is faithful and just to call us back to him.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your thoughtful words. I didn't know that you were a wonderful writer too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "he even goes so far as to call me his daughter"

    This line stuck out to me. Isn't it great to belong to royalty, to experience His love freely in our daily living, and a call to enjoy who He is and the blessings he choses lavishly for us.

    More often than id like to admit I need to remember I belong in the royal kingdom and this landscape my eyes see daily are a far cry from the one thats been prepared for mme in heaven - eternity!

    ReplyDelete