Thursday, September 5, 2013

The real world war Z

I took my daughter to a local fast food establishment for dinner the other night. We rarely have a time out together just the two of us and so we were both looking forward to a meal and time spent together. To my surprise a local elementary school was hosting a fundraiser at our restaurant of choice and the place was packed with people. It took an exorbitant amount of time to get our food and while we were waiting a number of children seemed to be running a muck. As I looked around I saw parents just tired. A veritable zombie race of overworked people trying to cross feeding the children off their list of nightly duties. It seems like we work so hard for our living, the things we need and possibly don't need to survive. We are giving in so many directions that we often have little time or energy left for the most important things in life.

I see myself as a member of the zombie race more often than I care to admit. I come home after a long day at work and I have nothing left. All day long I have been teaching, molding, disciplining and caring for four hundred plus students between two different schools. I find that all of my patience, understanding and guidance has been dulled out to the precious ones I am in trusted to teach everyday. Each child who walks into my classroom is someones pride and joy, someones sunshine and I try to treat them as such. This poses a problem when I have nothing left for my own sunshine. Who will mother her if I don't? Who will teach her to love, respect and care for people if I won't. Who will model grace and understanding if not me? Who will point her to God if I do not? Who will she come to if all I can do is park on the couch out of pure exhaustion?

I see the zombie race weekly. They look like everyone else. They drive cars and go to work, they have families that they love and they are all spent. Being tired is not relegated only to the teachers of the world, stay at home mothers, businessmen, nurses, doctors and every other person striving to make a living can and probably will fall into zombiehood at some point. 

I have heard many people say that they are "working for the weekends." I think this sounds about right. Most people are doing just that, working for the time they are allotted to be off pouring into their family friends, hobbies and the things that make them who they are. Many people have church obligations or even extra jobs that consume even the time they are given "off." The problem with working for the weekends is that the zombies are taking over that part of life too. I realized this while I was at church the other day enjoying a "day of rest." Biblically, the Lord rested on the seventh day and has blessed us with the ability to do so as well. Many jobs and obligations in this modern life do not allow for such a thing as resting. As I looked around at my friends and even my pastors I noticed that they looked tired too. ACK, is there no escaping the zombie Apocalypse? So now the problem is that I am too tired to be graceful with my family, to model love, respect and joyfulness. On the weekends I am too busy to lead myself and my child to worship and I am not taking the time needed to rest. Does anyone out there hear what I am saying? 

 How do we combat the zombie within and still be everything we are called to be at home, school, work etc? How do we honor God with all that we are when we have given all that we have? I wish I had some profound answer but the truth is I do not. I do know this, if we do not take the time to teach our children they will never learn to be the people we are praying that they will be. Kids learn from every experience. They are amazing little sponges who soak up anything near them. Who will teach them to be respectful, to be kind, to serve, to love, to give, to be full of grace, to worship if we won't or can't. Maybe the first step is realizing the signs of our inner zombie and then fighting against it. Maybe if we recognize the triggers we can fight against giving into being shadows of our true selves. 

My biggest downfall is the couch. It is just so darn comfy and after an entire day of singing, dancing and moving it is oh so inviting. I bet your couch is equally inviting after a long day of whatever keeps you busy from sun up to sundown. I have learned that nothing will happen if I put my rear on that couch. I am instantly checked out. I am a shadow of myself. I check facebook, I watch a movie with my daughter and it it truly all I can do to get her ready for bed. Frankly, when  my daughter's bed time rolls around I am more than ready to fall asleep.

What is the solution to the real world war Z? I think the answer can be found in Matthew 11:28-29 "Come to Me, all of you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly of heart, and you will find rest unto your souls." I think it's a daily act of seeking God, possibly even hourly. Praying and asking him to take my burdens and to give me rest. I know there are days when I am crying out to to Jesus by 10am, days that I have to tackle one three hour stretch at a time. Maybe you have been there too. Days that are overwhelming when I don't feel like I have the strength to carry on. When the day is long..,"come to Me all of you who labor." When the work is hard...,"come to Me, you who are heavy laden." When the couch, the TV, the computer, your phone are calling you to check out...Jesus says, "come to Me and I will give you rest." All of the things in this world that promise an escape are only that, escape. Is it possible what we are truly longing for is rest, peace and rejuvenation, "...and you will find rest unto your souls." What a promise! Jesus himself is promising us peace, what a wonderful word.




No comments:

Post a Comment